[OpenLayers-Dev] Bug on "Getting started" document

Andrés Maneiro amaneiro at icarto.es
Tue Feb 1 13:31:54 EST 2011

Hello,

going through OL documentation and examples I've found an error: in the
"getting started" doc, the URL for the WMS server doesn't work:
http://docs.openlayers.org/library/introduction.html

If, instead of:

  var wms = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS(
    "OpenLayers WMS",
    "http://labs.metacarta.com/wms/vmap0",
    {'layers':'basic'} );
  map.addLayer(wms);

the document would say:

  var wms = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS(
    "OpenLayers WMS",
    "http://vmap0.tiles.osgeo.org/wms/vmap0",
    {'layers':'basic'} );
  map.addLayer(wms);

the example works fine.

Actually, it seems that metacarta WMS server is down. So, it's not an
error on OL documentation. Nevertheless, change the WMS for one which
works regularly to avoid "external" errors would be a good idea. That
would minimize the amount of knowledge a begginer has to deal with.

I don't know if this is the proper channel for communicating this sort
of things. If it's not the case, please, let me know and next time, I'll
send the feedback to the right place.

best,
amaneiro