[OpenLayers-Dev] ClusterMaker ala GoogleMaps API

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Tue Feb 15 09:21:59 EST 2011

All,

We handled this type of thing with a Imagemap (about 6 years ago) in a very early version of GeoMoose, which we still use BTW,  Basically the Imagemap that we create with MapServer is read by Javascript and a stacked popup system is displayed on top of the point ( we havea couple of spots where we have 200+ addresses on the same point ).  It's not something that has been completely made ready for resale in the open source world though.  We took it as far as we needed it to go.   But it's used everyday and automatically works for any layer in our GeoMoose install, and handles tolerances during zooming, in other words, as the points come together while zooming out, the stacking automatically is enabled for the clustered points.  You need to be careful with the thresholding of some layer though, because you can overpower your Browser with too many popups turning on.

I have a link to a screen recording that shows things in operation if anyone is interested.

We are looking at rebuilding our systems with newer versions of GeoMoose, and this is a big ticket item that everyone uses everyday, so it will need to be integrated into whatever we build out.  We're not ready to work this quite yet (procedurally, need to get the project moving through purchasing) but we would be interested in any collaborative or joint funding of this type of capability in the near future.

bobb

>>> shitake83 <shitake83 at googlemail.com> wrote:

Hi Folks,

im currently dealing with a major issue that i dont have any clue solving.

i have a map where about 20 Markers are displayed in the same spot. ive
looked around the internet to try and find something similar to the
ClusterMarker that the GoogleMaps API provides, but havent been able to find
a way to do this in openlayers or find a helping hand for this problem.

It would be nice if someone could help.

Thx.

Source:
http://googlemapsapi.martinpearman.co.uk/readarticle.php?article_id=1

P.S.: ive read that the marker format is deprecated and that i should use
vector layers with points as markers, do i get this right ??