[OpenLayers-Dev] Closure Compiler support

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Thu Feb 24 19:51:03 EST 2011

> Full Builds:
>
> 900504  OpenLayers-jsmin.js
> 719130  OpenLayers-closure.js (20% savings)
>
> 200584  OpenLayers-jsmin.js.gz
> 172663  OpenLayers-closure.js.gz (14% savings)

As an experiment, I tested changing all cases of the
word OpenLayers to OL in the source code, to see if
that would help. While the uncompressed closure build
(unsurprisingly) shrunk by 30k to 685556, the gzipped
build (also unsurprisingly) did not change much,
dropping only 125 bytes to 172538.

Assuming that all application code delivered to clients
is gzipped, there is relatively little to be gained
via trivial name changes like this. :)

-- Chris