[OpenLayers-Dev] "allow pan while drawing" patch

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Wed Jan 12 08:54:30 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Alexandre Dube <adube at mapgears.com> wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
>  I really like the idea of being able to pan while drawing features.  I
> tried yours examples and here's my comments about them.
>
> === about your patch ===
>
>  Drawing a new point on mouseup seemed odd on first impression, but I could
> live with it.  Then, I noticed some down effects.  When trying do quickly
> draw a line, it kept missing some points along the way.

This is probably because you start moving the mouse before mouseup. We
could possibly introduce a tolerance for that.

> I'm not sure if
> that could be an issue since when you draw (normally), you take your time.
>  Your new feature seems "mobile compatible" though, and that's a plus.
>
> === an other idea ===
>
>  The first time I used the draw feature control, I noticed that I couldn't
> pan the map with the mouse.  The first thing I tried to do is move the mouse
> out of the map.  I thought the map would follow by panning itself.

Personally I think that be able to pan while drawing is good enough,
but we could indeed add fancier stuff eventually.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

PS: Yves Jacolin just told me that it actually also works for "draw
polygon", that's very good to know :-)

--
Eric Lemoine

Camptocamp France SAS