[OpenLayers-Dev] Re: How to override abstract OpenLayers.Protocol.WFS.v1?

myOpenLayersUName joanne.mcgraw at SYMPATICO.CA
Thu Jun 30 17:39:34 EDT 2011

Hi Tim,
Thank you for your response. Yes, I was able to get your simple case to
work. Further, I was able to load this:

OpenLayers.Util.extend(OpenLayers.Protocol.WFS.v1.prototype, {
    foo: "bar"
    ,blah: function(){
        alert(this.foo);
    }
});

And, within the real OpenLayers.Protocol.WFS.v1.handleRead function, I added
a call to this.blah() and at runtime, the alert with "bar" appeared.
However, when I try to override an existing function I don't seem able to do
it.

Continuing with my example above, if I removed the this.blah() call that I
added in the real OpenLayers.Protocol.WFS.v1.handleRead function (so it's
back to its distribution form) and updated my own file as follows:

OpenLayers.Util.extend(OpenLayers.Protocol.WFS.v1.prototype, {
    foo: "bar"
    ,blah: function(){
        alert(this.foo);
    }
    ,handleRead: function(response, options) {
        this.blah();
        if(options.callback) {
            var request = response.priv;
            if(request.status >= 200 && request.status < 300) {
                // success
                response.features = this.parseFeatures(request);
                response.code = OpenLayers.Protocol.Response.SUCCESS;
            } else {
                // failure
                response.code = OpenLayers.Protocol.Response.FAILURE;
            }
            options.callback.call(options.scope, response);
        };
    }
});

At runtime, my handleRead is not run and I don't see the alert with "bar" in
it.

When I step through the OpenLayers.Util.extend function, it sure looks like
my handleRead is overwriting the distributed one but at runtime it's
definitely not using it.

I really don't get what the problem could be here.