[OpenLayers-Dev] Potential move to GitHub

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Tue Mar 8 08:30:44 EST 2011

On Mar 8, 2011, at 2:36 AM, ext Rodolphe Quiedeville wrote:

> Le 08/03/2011 08:10, Eric Lemoine a écrit :
> [...]
>>
>> Thank you Chris. Moving the trunk to Github sounds great to me. But we
>> indeed need to find a solution for the sandboxes. Keeping them in the
>> current SVN repo, and having some doc/tutorial explaining a working
>> workflow for sandbox development, could be a possibility. As far as
>> the ticket system is concerned, I think I'd also like to continue
>> using Trac. But providing links to Git commits in tickets would
>> probably mean long URLs, there may be Trac plugins to deal with such
>> things (<http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/GitPlugin>).
>
> Hi,
>
> Using Git sounds great to me to, even if I'm not involved in OpenLayers
> dev I use the dev version often. Before moving to github please consider
> Gitorious as a solution too. OpenLayers is a free (as free speech)
> project like Gitorious but not Github, so I consider logical that free
> developers use free tools.
>
> http://gitorious.org/

Please read my previous responses regarding why I would choose Github
over Gitorious, specifically:

"Nokia is a strong Gitorious supporter, so I have considered using it for
several different projects. I have consistently found that many of the
features that make git less painful that I care about are only on GitHub.
Importantly to me personally is the network browser, which (since
Git doesn't have it built in) is dependent on people being on the same
host: at that point, GitHub simply has a bigger network effect, because
more developers already use it. "

 -- http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/openlayers-dev/2011-February/007194.html