[OpenLayers-Dev] License question

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Tue Mar 15 16:30:27 EDT 2011

On Mar 15, 2011, at 3:07 PM, ext Timothy Astle wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a license question.  I have a little API that I have and I'm planning on open sourcing it.  OpenLayers is a part of the foundation.  Is there any harm in providing a hyperlink from my site to the OpenLayers site or referring to the fact that it is built on OpenLayers?

Nah. The anti-advertising clause is essentially designed to prevent you from
saying "OpenLayers Endorses This Site For All Its Awesomeness!"

Legally speaking, you're required to give some credit to OpenLayers in your
documentation, or in the OL.js file itself (which is why the build tools do
that for you); so long as you include those notices, and don't try to say
"The OL Devs said my website is the most awesome ever", you're all good.

-- Chris