[OpenLayers-Dev] MOTION: donation button

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Thu May 12 19:34:25 EDT 2011

On 5/12/11 3:00 PM, Schuyler Erle wrote:

> On May 12, 2011, at 1:37 PM, Tim Schaub wrote:
>
>> I've asked Tyler @OSGeo to set up a PayPal account for OpenLayers -
>> as a way for us to accept "micro-donations" to the project and
>> OSGeo.  We have a larger sponsorship program for people wishing to
>> make more substantial contributions
>> (http://openlayers.org/sponsorship/).  I like the idea of being
>> able to accept smaller financial contributions from those who are
>> able to make them.
>
> I am pretty much +0, but I have a question: For what purpose are we
> planning to use the donations? I am all for encouraging the community
> to support the project, but I am wondering what kind of support we
> need.

This question is also relevant for our Sponsorship program
(http://openlayers.org/sponsorship/).  At the time we decided to go
ahead with that, we created this list of ideas:

http://trac.osgeo.org/openlayers/wiki/Sponsorship/Uses

Also see
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/openlayers-dev/2008-October/003586.html

--