[OpenLayers-Dev] MOTION: v3 branch on GitHub for deprecation & API changes

Schuyler Erle schuyler at nocat.net
Fri Nov 4 17:57:57 EDT 2011

On Nov 4, 2011, at 2:47 PM, Eric Lemoine wrote:

> Today's situation might be more favorable than before. fredj has
> already put quite some effort into removing deprecated code, and Tom
> MacWright has submitted pull requests that go in the same direction. I
> think it would be a shame to loose that momentum, I'd rather see these
> guys (and possibly others) join effort in v3 branch. Today's situation
> may also be different because our main development branch (master) is
> now also on github, so maintaining a v3 branch (i.e. sync'ing it from
> the main development branch) is a lot easier than before.

I want to make sure we have consensus before proceeding, and then I'm
ready to pull the trigger. I move that we proceed with creating and
promoting a v3 branch on Github as the repo for a future 3.0 release.
Granted that we should have discussions (and possibly even one or more
code sprints) to redesign the API and so on, but this seems like a
reasonable first step.

I think we have enough +1s from the PSC already. Does anyone object?
If not, I'll create the v3 branch starting from Fred's no-deprecated
branch, as Eric suggested.

SDE