[OpenLayers-Dev] MOTION: Branch for v3!

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Wed Nov 23 01:28:52 EST 2011

On Tuesday, November 22, 2011, Schuyler Erle <schuyler at nocat.net> wrote:
> Hey, guys, I already made this motion once, but, after some initially
confusing discussions on IRC today, I thought I'd best make it again, more
concretely this time, because it's a topic about which people feel
passionately.

> I move that we create a *new* v3 branch in Github in order to allow
people to begin work on redesigning the OpenLayers API, towards a version
3.0 release. Obviously I am +1, and moreover I volunteer to try to manage
the process of collating proposed API changes, and to try to stay on top of
forward-porting future improvements to 2.x to the 3.x branch.

> I would really appreciate it if at least a couple other members of the
PSC would chime in with +1s before I go ahead with making the branch. Also,
if you'd like to veto this proposal, please do, but let's discuss? I'd like
to move ahead in the next day. Thanks!

Hi Schuyler

In case people don't know we have started moving deprecated code in a
deprecated.js file in the master branch. This file represents a smooth
transition towards removing deprecated code. For 2.12 we could for example
publish OpenLayers.js and OpenLayers-deprecated.js. People relying on
deprecated code would use OpenLayers-deprecated.js, and get deprecation
warnings encouraging them to change their code.

That being said I'm not opposed to creating a v3 branch. This branch would
be dedicated to designing new APIs, and more generally work that cannot be
done in master. The work on "removing" deprecated code should continue in
the master branch. I guess the hard part will be to know, and agree on,
what fits in the master branch and what fits in the v3 branch. I may well
be wrong but it looks to me that most of the things we've discussed up to
now could be "master" materials. I'm looking forward to knowing more about
what people have in mind.

Thanks,

--
Eric Lemoine