[OpenLayers-Dev] MOTION: delete old branches

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Wed Oct 12 16:10:31 EDT 2011

> In my
> opinion, the other projects (git, linux, jquery, et al.) are not doing
> things oddly at all.  I think it makes good sense that branches are
> temporary - places for feature development (or release work).  We're
> not going to be maintaining divergent lines of development.

That makes perfect sense to me.

> If you want to re-create a branch from any commit (using, for example
> a tag name), it is trivial.
>
>    git checkout -b oldstuff release-1.0
>
> And there you have the full history of what was the 1.0 branch.  From
> there you could make a fix and release 1.0.1

Yes.

Here are the steps that I see for a 1.0 release:

#1 release 1.0-rc1
#2 release 1.0-rc2
#3 release 1.0
#4 release 1.0.1

We start the release process by creating a 1.0 branch off the master branch.

For #1 we just create a 1.0-rc1 tag to the HEAD of the 1.0 branch (which is
the same as the HEAD of master).

Between rc1 and rc2 changes for 1.0 are committed to the 1.0 branch, which
can regularly be merged into master (possibly for every commit). Changes
that aren't for 1.0 are committed to the master branch.

For #2 we merge the 1.0 branch into master, and create a 1.0-rc2 tag to the
HEAD of the 1.0 branch.

For #3 we create a 1.0 tag to the HEAD of the 1.0 branch, and delete the 1.0
branch.

For #4 we create a branch off the 1.0 tag, commit to that branch, create a
1.0.1 tag to the HEAD of the branch, merge the branch into master, and
delete the branch.

I may be forgetting important details here, but this is the high-level view
I currently have about the release process. Practical experiments will
reveal these details.

Sorry for going into more details in this thread. I'm happy to take that
discussion in a new thread if people think it'd be more appropriate.

Cheers,

--
Eric Lemoine

Camptocamp France SAS