[OpenLayers-Dev] Sprint Planning

Tom Payne tom.payne at camptocamp.com
Mon Apr 30 05:23:21 EDT 2012

Hi Andrew,

On 27 April 2012 22:12, Vardeman, Andrew [CSSM] <andrewv at iastate.edu> wrote:
> Regarding a WebGL renderer:
>
> Sounds great for stuff like scaling images, etc, but does WebGL provide a
> triangulation API?  If not, I think JavaScript triangulation of vector
> features may prove slow enough to force some UI/UX changes.  I could go into
> more detail if you’d like.

Currently there is no support for triangulation in WebGL.
Traditionally this functionality has been provided by the glu*Tess
(e.g. gluNewTess) functions in the GLU OpenGL utility library. This
library has bindings for many languages, and as such is relatively
easy to use on the server side to pre-process vector data before
sending  it to a Javascript/WebGL client.

All browsers that support WebGL also have high performance Javascript
engines. Numerical code - like triangulation - tends to JIT very well.
Polygons only need to be triangulated once. So, client-side
triangulation in Javascript is likely to be adequate for many use
cases.

Camptocamp SA
Tom PAYNE
PSE A