[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers + GMaps V3 over HTTPS

Jason Lee jaslee.st at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 06:25:49 EDT 2012

Hi All,
We need to serve an OpenLayers application, which uses Google base maps API
v3, over a secured Https connection. The app has been working fine over
normal HTTP for a while but some users now want secured access to it.

We have purchased and successfully installed SSL certificates on our
server. I also modified the app to call the Https version of GMaps (<script
src="https://maps.google.com/maps/api/js?sensor=false&v=3.6"></script>),
BUT the browser (mainly Chrome) displays an ugly cross over the Https with
a message that "...this page includes other resources which are not secure".

I spent some time using Chrome Resources viewer to figure out what was
still using Http but with no luck. Then using an older FireFox, I think I
found Http 2 links to:-

 1. Google Terms & Conditions page -
http://www.google.com/intl/en-GB_US/help/terms_map.html
 2. A google maps link to the initial displayed location -
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=...z=7&jl=en-GB

Could these be what is causing my app to not be 100% secure?

To double check, I did a quick simple GMap V3 demo which displays as 100%
secure over Https on our website. Then I did a similar simple OpenLayers
(latest dev build) + GMap V3 base map which displays the same cross over
the Https and giving the same message.

Any help or advice much appreciated ..and if a bug needs to be raised, I'm
happy to create one.

Jason