[OpenLayers-Dev] Possible bug: Fixed vector layers and z-indexing

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Fri Sep 7 01:23:51 PDT 2012

I wouldn't say this is a bug. What you're seeing is a result of fixed
layers being appended to the parent container of the container that
holds geographic layers. Note that the isFixed property is not part of
the API and was meant for a different purpose: third party mapping
APIs that provide their own dragging (e.g. GMaps).

Having said that, the best you can get is having all fixed layers on
top of all geographic layers, by changing the zIndex of the map's
layerContainerDiv to 0. But this is also not part of the API, so
beware of dragons ahead - this change will have side effects that may
affect your application.

A more API compliant way of solving this would be to create a custom
control, and use an OpenLayers.Renderer to render your vectors to its
div - I'm assuming your fixed layer actually contains some map
decoration like crosshairs.

Andreas.

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 8:25 AM, gorybunny <cedricseah at stee.stengg.com> wrote:
> Apologies for resurrecting this, but I have observed this same behaviour in
> v2.12 of openlayers, using IE9. Vector Layers that have the isFixed property
> set to true will appear below WMS layers. Should this be registered as a
> bug?

Andreas Hocevar
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/