[OpenLayers-Dev] Leaflet vs OpenLayers

Tim-Hinnerk Heuer th.heuer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 03:56:39 PDT 2012

Hi,

Just food for thought:

I've recently discovered Leaflet, a competitor? to OpenLayers if you can
say so for an OS project. Apparently it's "what the cool kids" use instead
of OL. Would you agree? My reaction is that OL is much more feature rich
and mature than this new kid on the block (not to mention projections...).
However, I like the gimmicky CSS3 effects of Leaflet and the fact that it's
so tiny. It would be great if OL could borrow some ideas and make it
possible to have such small builds for mobile and fast applications. I
know, one can compile a specific version etc, but there is still a
difference between 200KB and 27KB. I guess 173KB difference is not that
huge compared to all the tiles one needs to download.

Does Google's Closure compiler make a difference? I haven't tried that yet.

Discussion and feedback welcome.

Regards,
Tim

Tim-Hinnerk Heuer