[OpenLayers-Dev] request for comment on feature submission

Vardeman, Andrew [CSSM] andrewv at iastate.edu
Wed Apr 3 13:10:59 PDT 2013

OpenLayers developers,

Hello.  My group at Iowa State University has finally got a CLA submitted, and I'd like to gauge interest in some of the work we've done in the last year.  We have:

  1.  Fairly robust client-side polygon split/merge using JSTS,
  2.  Asynchronous tile caching using Web SQL Database, and
  3.  A "survey" library of questionable relevance to core OpenLayers which uses the OpenLayers class structure and can be used to build an attribute table with complex validation rules

…in addition to several small bug fixes related to iOS/touch support.

I'll be submitting/following up on pull requests for the bug fixes, but I'm curious whether any of the first three items are of interest for inclusion in OpenLayers.

(1) obviously depends on JSTS, so I assume it can't become part of core OpenLayers.  Also, it's 100% client-side and doesn't quite fit the existing architecture of the Split tool.

(2) is related to PR #643.  We have async Web SQL DB working against OL 2.12, but it's ugly code that touches all kinds of internal stuff it shouldn't have to.

(3) could be useful to people doing survey data collection of attributed vector features, but I don't know how common that is.

I'd appreciate any guidance.

Thanks,

Andrew Vardeman