[OpenLayers-Dev] Problem with rotated points renderer VML (IE <9)

jezaustin jezaustin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 04:22:47 PDT 2013

Hi
pull request <https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/issues/935>   was
closed because the string "NaN" is a silly value for rotation to have. I
consider the proper value NaN to be a reasonable value, but I notice that
when a style's context method returns the value NaN, it gets coerced to a
string when the token is interpolated.

So either
  a) add documentation clarifying that the application's context methods
must guarantee not to return NaN,
  b) OpenLayers.Style.createLiteral detects the string "NaN" and returns the
value NaN instead.
  c) OpenLayers.String.format detects when the template is entirely composed
of one token, and in that case avoid coercing to a string.

I think a) is suboptimal, and if that's the decision is should be
documented.
b) is a bit hacky but probably low risk, unless anyone's application relies
on receiving the string "NaN"!
c) is the most appealing solution, but since OpenLayers.String.format is in
wider use it is higher risk.

Which of these solutions is preferred?

thanks, Jez.