[OpenLayers-Dev] Format KML, network link, strategies

Peter Robins openlayers at peterrobins.co.uk
Tue Jan 15 11:27:47 PST 2013

On 15 January 2013 09:16, Jachym Cepicky <jachym.cepicky at gmail.com> wrote:
> BUT OpenLayers.Format.KML does not enable (or I did not found any way
> how to do that) way, how to append custom parameters to network-link
> url. In the format, there is no reference to the layer - the format is
> not "aware of" any mapping context. And so, it is not possible to apply
> any filter/strategy to network-link KML.
>
> And I would consider this as missing feature. I've found some solution
> to this (manually adding layer attribute to the format and redefine the
> OpenLayers.Format.KML.fetchLink(href) method (and fix the href).

that's right. Such a process isn't handled by the current logic.
Conceptually, a networklink is a bit like a redirect, and it's not
really the job of a format to fetch data, but to parse it.
KML.fetchLink is only in there as a convenience, and in theory it
should somehow pass control back to the protocol to do another read on
the networklink url.

Can you not supply the networklink to the protocol rather than the kml
file with the networklink?