[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers 6 and only WGS 84 API with Polar coordinate systems

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Thu Sep 5 12:15:28 PDT 2019

Hi,

I followed the recording from FOSS4G 2019 about the new features in OL 6 https://media.ccc.de/v/bucharest-337-openlayers-6-there-and-back-again. At time 16:35 there is a slide that states "Use only geographic coordinates (WGS 84) in the API". I wonder if such change would make it difficult to work with the Polar coordinate systems like those used in the Arctic SDI geoportal https://geoportal.arctic-sdi.org/ (press the World icon under the scale slider for selecting your favourite). Do we need to be worried?

Jukka Rahkonen
National Land Survey of Finland