[OpenLayers-Dev] W3C Web mapping workshop, Montreal, June 15-17 2020
Rushforth, Peter (NRCan/RNCan)
peter.rushforth at canada.ca
Mon Jan 27 09:38:22 PST 2020
Dear OpenLayers developers,
My name is Peter Rushforth, and I'm with the Canada Centre for Mapping and Earth Observation, at Natural Resources Canada (a Canadian government department). We are planning a World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) workshop on maps in the Web platform (specifically HTML), together with the W3C and the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC). The workshop will be collocated with the OGC Technical Committee meeting, June 15-17 2020 in Montreal, Quebec.
I am sending this email to see if the OpenLayers project might be interested in being invited to participate (by presenting a short position paper, in person) in this workshop on the concept of better integrating mapping into the Web platform standards, and if so, how does OpenLayers see this. Even if you believe that the Web platform standards are already good enough for mapping, it might be worthwhile staking that out as a position. If you are interested, though, we would certainly welcome you to also be part of the program committee.
The objective of the workshop will be to start the conversation between the geospatial (and geospatial standards) and Web platform communities, about how Web standards could better serve the needs of Web mapping and most especially users of Web maps and the Web in general.
Some topics of potential interest include:
* a native map viewer, similar to that provided for video content
* standards for how such a map widget might integrate with map services and APIs
* accessibility of browser maps
* privacy of user location information
* security of browser-based maps
* Integration / relationship of maps and location with other browser APIs, e.g. geo-video, geolocation API, forms, SVG
* crawling, indexing and searching map information
* standardized browser elements and APIs
* CSS styling of maps and map features
* Map feature creation / input forms
* federated map services with linking - aka the Web
Mostly the agenda will be driven by position papers, and what projects like yours want to discuss. If the OpenLayers team of contributors is interested in sending one or two people to present a position, please let me know and I will ensure that you / they are invited.
Canada Centre for Mapping and Earth Observation
Natural Resources Canada / Government of Canada
peter.rushforth at canada.ca<mailto:peter.rushforth at canada.ca> / Tel: 613-759-7915
Centre canadien de cartographie et d'observation de la Terre
Ressources naturelles Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
peter.rushforth at canada.ca<mailto:peter.rushforth at canada.ca> / Tél: 613-759-7915
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Dev