[OpenLayers-Users] Displaying moving symbols on a map?

Robert Buzink post at robertbuzink.nl
Thu Dec 14 17:50:13 EST 2006

hi charlie,

I don't know about WFS server. Somebody else will have to answer that, but
updating map can also be done by using php script that dynamically generates
xml-file.

The javascript in the map could read the xml file and generate markers from
it. You could set the php script in such a way that it outputs different
imagename/location in the xml file for a while when a marker is just
updated. Openlayers lets you create custom marker-images. I don't think they
can be moving images.

Again, it's just a suggestion. WFS server might be better.

Robert.

On 12/14/06, Okeefe, Charlie (Mission Systems) <Charlie.Okeefe at ngc.com>
wrote:

>  Hello all, I'm interested in using OpenLayers for a project, and the
> basic requirement is fairly straightforward - an interactive world map
> running in a web browser showing moving symbols whose locations are given
> and updated by an outside service.
>
> I'm fairly new to a lot of the terminology involved here - from what I
> have read thus far, it looks like I might want to do this with a WFS server
> - each symbol we want to show becomes a "feature" that can move when the
> service "updates" it.
>
> Am I on the right track here? Is OpenLayers a good tool for this? If it
> is, I'm interested in learning how to set up such an application. Otherwise
> any suggestions on a better tool for the job would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Charlie

Robert Buzink, website ontwerp en ontwikkeling
Sint-Pietersaalststraat 123
9000 Gent
+32 (0)9 33 00 267
+32 (0)487 548 414