[OpenLayers-Users] trouble using OpenLayers in JSF with IE client

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Nov 29 22:03:41 EST 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 02:33:35PM -0800, Mike Quentel wrote:
> Using JSF (developed using IBM Rational Software Architect), Websphere, and OpenLayers.js library.  The application uses the Microsoft Virtual Earth layer.  This all works just fine in Mozilla Firefox (of course), but unfortunately, I get the following error when attempting to access the same page in IE 6.0.2x:
>
> "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://....  Operation aborted."
>
> Has anyone else encountered this sort of behaviour?  Any ideas on how to solve this?  Seems to only happen when I use a template file from RSA (*.htpl).

Copying the HTML of your page somewhere would be helpful in this regard.
My first guess is that you are attempting to use some Javascript which
is not yet loaded -- when using Google Maps I've seen this problem when
I don't put a defer='defer' on external scripts which are attempting to
do things with the Google Maps API before it's actually loaded.

However, most of the OpenLayers examples only run code in <body
onload="init()">, in which case this shouldn't be a problem. If you're
not running your code onload and might have it in the body of your page,
this might explain your problem.

Unfortunately, debugging this particular kind of error is quite hard,
but maybe you could put up an example HTML page that fails in order to
help investigation of this issue.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta