[OpenLayers-Users] introducing myself, wordpress, WikiMap

Robert Buzink post at robertbuzink.nl
Thu Nov 30 20:50:59 EST 2006

Just saying hi and letting you know that I'm really enthusiastic about
openlayers. I used to use the gmap api for my projects (including WikiMap, a
geographical wiki). I decided to use openlayers but still use the google
data. When there's opensource data that is as good as Googles, I can easily
switch. As a first test, I integrated a simple map in a WordPress blog for
some friends that are going to travel to Africa in a Citroën as part of an
art project (the good life!).

Would it be a good idea to create some plugins/themes for widely used Open
Source Software (like WordPress and MediaWiki) to promote openlayers? Is
this already being done?

I am planning to base WikiMap on the openlayers API. WikiMap is an
opensource php/mysql application that allows users to click in a map to add
locations, a lot like a textual wiki. Right now the code is a mess (I
learned php by writing WikiMap), it is based on the gmap api and well...it
looks a bit old fashioned :-). It works well though and I think it has much
potential. It has lots of features (install script, export to xml, google
earth, rss, revision history, link to marker, create marker through link,
etc.).
Apart from using the openlayers API, I am planning to use an existing
php/mysql wiki with bloglike comment function for the wiki-functionality and
add more functionality (comments, tags, user overlays, personal/public
markers, etc.).

I would like you to ask two things:

1. Would you like to contribute to this project or do you have technical
tips?
2. What features do you want to see in a  geographical wiki?

Thanks!

Robert Buzink

WikiMap: http://sourceforge.net/projects/wikimap
WordPress integration: http://www.wikimaas.org/Paint_the_Eend/