[OpenLayers-Users] kamap background tiles

Tim Schaub noreply at geocartic.com
Tue Oct 31 14:05:33 EST 2006

> Yeah, I was hoping to understand the tiling mechanism better,
> because if I can get away just using the background color on
> the DIV, then it implies that I can free up some disk space
> by deleting a bunch of tiles that are just colored blue!

This is now really a discussion for ka-Map, but you could certainly free up
space by getting rid of fully transparent (or blue) tiles.  If you deleted
all these, then you would have to make a small modification to tile.php so
that it sent back something (a 1 pixel transparent gif seems appropriate)
instead of re-creating these tiles when it got a request for a tile that
didn't already exist.  That does assume that you're working with a static
cache.