[OpenLayers-Users] question about overlays

Adam Eskreis aeskreis at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 20:23:51 EDT 2007

I am currently constructing a map with many thematic layers.  For those that
don't know, a thematic layer is a layer which color codes certain polygons
based on a certain field, such as population density or something like
that.  I want these thematic layers to be able to be turned on and off.  I
have each thematic layer set up as a seperate group in the mapfile, and i
set up each one as a seperate overlay in openlayers.  However, my problem is
now i have around 40 overlays on my OpenLayers map.  Is this too many?  It
is taking a long time to load the map now.  So my question, is having a lot
of overlays bad practice?  If so, how can i cut down on overlays, but still
be able to have each thematic layer be able to be shown on demand by the
user? Thanks.

-Adam