[OpenLayers-Users] Performance question, or any tricks to consolidate WMS requests?

Cicconetti, Bob BCicconetti at dnr.state.md.us
Fri Apr 13 11:21:00 EDT 2007

I have a prototype openlayers installation using data from a single WMS
server/map.  The performance with one or two layers is excellent, but
once you get to three or four it takes a while to finish grabbing the
off-screen tiles of the underlayers before grabbing the on-screen tiles
of the overlays.  (The maps consist of 3-5 base layers, and 6-8
overlays, most vector, but one bitonal raster parcel boundary layer.)

Is there a simple way to get Mapserver to do the compositing, short of a
bunch of combination/permutation layers that I would turn on and off on
demand? Perhaps extend LayerSwitcher to turn on and off WMS layers? Or
am I better off using WFS as much as possible?

I was also thinking that if the overlay were done at the WMS server,
much of my printing trouble will go away. :-)

The site is not on a public-facing machine, unfortunately, so I can't
give a visual example.

R C