[OpenLayers-Users] Question on having multiple layers

Ali Khan akhan at unfpa.org
Wed Aug 8 11:26:13 EDT 2007

Hey, presently we're developing a system that will have MANY layers
we're talking 20-50.

I know in OpenLayers you need to setup a name etc for each layer. I was
thinking using a loop to output each layer (the basic data ie layer name
etc is stored in a backend database). Still when somoene opens up the
navigation tab though it can become quite long.

Is there anyway one can make a select box on the page and on change have
it reference the appropriate layer to show in OpenLayers?
Also for each layer we want to have a seperate getFeatureinfo query as
each layer contains different data. How do we do this? can we do
layer.events.register instead of map.events.register for instance so
that each layer has its own on click event?

Thanks.