[OpenLayers-Users] Compressed Open Layers

Andrea Aime aaime at openplans.org
Fri Aug 10 09:05:19 EDT 2007

Tom (JDi Solutions) ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently experimenting with compressing OpenLayers and have been
> running build.py to create a compressed version of the library, however
> the smallest version I seem to be able to make is 220K ...

Tom,
have you considered making your web server compress on the fly the
generated js file using gzip compression (as supported by the http
standard)? This should get the bytes actually moving over then net
down to less than 50kb if my memory serves me right.
On the "GeoServer in production" wiki page we have some hints on
how to activate that compression for Tomcat, each server has
its own way.

Cheers
Andrea