[OpenLayers-Users] How to do Google+TMS+Marker layers

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Tue Aug 14 08:29:30 EDT 2007

I want to create an OpenLayers map with switchable Google and TMS base
layers and some markers on top. I only want to use WGS84 geographical
coordinates and had hoped that OpenLayers would do everything else behind
my back.

But whatever I try I can't get this to run without having to reproject
everything when I switch baselayers etc. because the Google layer works
with lat/lon while the TMS layer uses the Mercator projection. The
Markers layer will then use whatever the base layer uses.

This is especially irksome because the tile format used by Google and by
OpenStreetMap is exactly the same and only because they get accessed so
differently going through the GMAP API and through TMS, respectively,
the usage is so different. (In fact using OpenStreetMap tiles with GMAP
API alone is very easy.) I tried using the LikeGoogle layer, but it has
the same problem as TMS.

I feel rather stupid and keep thinking there must be a better and easier
solution, but I can't find any. (Apart from just using GMAP alone.)

Jochen