[OpenLayers-Users] Need a search function for Open Layers

Tim Schaub tschaub at openplans.org
Thu Aug 16 10:45:23 EDT 2007

HarryS wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> are there any scripts for a search function in OpenLayers (e.g. like the
> search in KaMap) ?
>
> I have a PostGIS-placename-database with a Mapserver mapfile that I use in
> my KaMap app for queries. Now I want to use OpenLayers. Has anybody already
> a solution that I can use ?

OpenLayers is a client-side (browser based) mapping library.  Since you
can't query PostgreSQL directly from a browser, querying your database
is a server-side task.

So, pick your favorite interface to Postgres and write something that
makes your queries.  Then you can call this from the client side.