[OpenLayers-Users] Large Vector Layer

Eric Lemoine eric.c2c at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 09:02:25 EDT 2007

Hi Scott,

Answering two of your questions below:

On 8/16/07, Scott Davis <scott at davisworld.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Thanks for taking the time to respond, Gregor. I really appreciate
> it. However my questions remain:
> Does WFS sound like the right solution -- given a 10k datalayer than
> needs hover capabilities -- for out of the box OpenLayers 2.4 and
> GeoServer 1.6.nightly?
> Does GeoRSS currently get constrained to the map bbox like WFS in
> OpenLayers 2.4?

I've just looked into the code, and it seems to me that the GeoRSS
Layer doesn't do what you want - it does not constrain its request to
the map bbox. Hopefully, someone can confirm here...

> Any thoughts on the differences/benefits/drawbacks of an old Marker
> layer vs. a new Vector layer?

With the new Vector Layer, not only can you display points, but also
lines, polygons, etc. And if you use the current SVN code, you can
also display markers in a Vector Layer, using the externalGraphic
property. So Basically, I don't see any advantages of using the old
Markers Layer.

--
Eric