[OpenLayers-Users] Update Markers

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Aug 29 21:40:41 EDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 05:48:58PM -0700, Wagner, Jeffrey S. (Mission Systems) wrote:

> I'm utilizing ActiveMQ to push objects onto a map.  As messages are
> received a "database" on the client side is built to determine if this
> is a new object, or just an update to an existing object.  Currently,
> I'm removing the existing marker and then adding a new marker for an
> updated.  This seems pretty in-efficient.  Any ideas?

There is no 'supported' way of doing this, but marker.icon.imageDiv is
the actual container for the image. (This probably is a div, with an img
as its firstChild.) Using this and just changing
marker.icon.imageDiv.firstChild.src will probably work, but it is
possible (though at this point, seems relatively unlikely) that the name
'imageDiv' will change in the future, so you should be prepared to check
your code against a new release before switching over.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta