[OpenLayers-Users] Destroy not being called for popups?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Aug 31 09:09:01 EDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 04:12:54PM +1000, Glen Stampoultzis wrote:
> Hi...
>
> just been mucking around with popups and I noticed that the destroy method
> does seem to get called.  The close poup button just hides the div from what
> I can tell and the map.removePopup() call seems to remove the div from the
> DOM without calling destroy and cleaning up the event handlers.
>
> Bug or feature?

When would you call destroy? Certainly, a popup can be removed from the
map without it being destroyed: it can be re-added at a later time, and
we use that behavior in some applications here at MetaCarta.

In general, removing things is not the same as destroying them, and
depending on when they are created, you may have to clean up after
yourself rather than depending on OpenLayers to do it for you.

If you use a feature to create the popup, it destroys the popup for
you. If you create your own, you're on your own.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta