[OpenLayers-Users] Multiple Servers and Performance

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Dec 4 11:13:48 EST 2007

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 09:02:45AM -0700, Linda Rawson wrote:
> I am looking at the example for multi servers and I have implemented them.
>
> http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/multiserver.html
>
> How many can I have?  When does it degrade performance?  How many servers
> should I have?

I usually use 3. Adding more doesn't tend to make a difference in my
experience. (At the point where you're requesting 3 images at once,
you're likely getting relatively close to filling your network pipe
for most connections.) Some of this will depend on your browser, your
network connection, and your source tiles.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta