[OpenLayers-Users] MapTips

Eric Lemoine eric.c2c at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 00:50:56 EST 2007

Hi Matthew,

I see two main options:

 - use a WFS layer. Your hotspots are displayed as markers or vector
geometries in a WFS layer on top of the WMS layer. If you pan the map
new hotspots will be automatically downloaded from the WFS service.
You can easily have popups on mouse over these hotspots. WFS Examples:
<http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/wfs.html>. Popup example:
<http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/select-feature-openpopup.html>.

 - use GetFeatureInfo-type mechanism. As the mouse goes over the WMS
layer, Ajax requests are sent to some search service (possibly
WMS/GetFeatureInfo). As opposed to the solution you mentioned in your
email, there's no preload here, but I think it can be fast enough if
things are optimized on the server. See an example here:
<http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/getfeatureinfo.html>

Hope this helps,
--
Eric