[OpenLayers-Users] SVG Layers

Roald de Wit rdewit at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Dec 10 22:55:02 EST 2007

Hi Miles,

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 20:44 -0700, miles wrote:
> One way to address the print/image issue is by having everything in a
> SVG file.  I've been meaning to write in about how to display SVG icons
> and mapping as layers - since OpenLayers uses SVG, this should be
> possible.  A SVG map could simply be saved out to a file - then
> manipulated to your heart's content in Inkscape and then printed to a
> printer, pdf, or bitmap image.

Another option is to use Gregor's approach for bitmaps and post the SVG
layers to the PHP script as well, from there do what you suggest: save
them to a temporary file. You can use imagemagick to convert to png and
add to the image (just tested it and it works quite well).
Things that are important are ordering of the layers and preserving
their transparency (and the transparency of the features).

Roald de Wit
Software Engineer
roald.dewit at lisasoft.com

Commercial Support for Open Source GIS Software
http://lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts/