[OpenLayers-Users] Square miles from Square degrees?

cmose cjmose at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 20:42:49 EST 2007

Hopefully I'm not making a fool of myself but my assumption is that the
getArea function on Geometry/subclasses returns square degrees (that seems
to be the case to my eye). How exactly would I go about calculating square
miles from this or is that even possible? If not, how do I go about
calculating the square miles contained in a shape drawn on the map?

Thanks!