[OpenLayers-Users] Difference between OpenLayers and Map Builder

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Feb 1 17:56:45 EST 2007

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 10:20:26PM +0100, Robert Buzink wrote:
> hi SuneelKota,

Robert --

MapBuilder is also an Open Source project to talk to WMS servers.
Cameron Shorter, one of the primary people working on the vector branch,
is a lead developer on MapBuilder. The homepage for that project is

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAP/Home

However, your reasons for using OpenLayers over Google/Yahoo/etc. are
spot on, and make a great FAQ for "WHy should I use OpenLayers over G/Y/M" :)
All in all, a really great analysis of the situation, and very
informative.

Thanks for the answer on that front, and I'm sure Cameron will come
along soon and explain some of the things that MapBuilder can do that
OpenLayers can't, and why they might be important to your project.

-- Chris

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta