[OpenLayers-Users] Syntax for the GeoRSS call?

Alexandre Leroux alexandre.leroux at ec.gc.ca
Tue Feb 6 14:44:08 EST 2007

Hi list,

OpenLayers's GeoRSS example ask you to feed the url through a textbox. I
have failed to find the right syntax to send it directly.

My last attempt was:
OpenLayers.Layer.GeoRSS("Slashgeo", "http://slashgeo.org/index.rss");
map.addLayer([georss_layer]);
but it doesn't work. What's wrong? (I have tried multiple permutations,
including removing the [] on georss_layer)

I tried with the live example on
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/georss.html and of course it works.
However, for some reason, the georss feed doesn't show up when testing
the example locally using the georss.html example bundled with the files.

I copied my full code below just in case. Thanks!

Alex
--
Alexandre Leroux, M.Sc., Ing.
Environnement Canada / Environment Canada
alexandre.leroux at ec.gc.ca

   <head>
         #map {
             width: 1000px;
             height: 700px;
             border: 1px solid black;
         }
     <script
src='http://maps.google.com/maps?file=api&amp;v=2&amp;key=ABQIAAAAjpkAC9ePGem0lIq5XcMiuhR_wWLPFku8Ix9i2SXYRVK3e45q1BQUd_beF8dtzKET_EteAjPdGDwqpQ'></script>
     <script src="http://www.openlayers.org/api/OpenLayers.js"></script>
     <script type="text/javascript">
         <!--
         var map, layer, georss_layer;

      //   OpenLayers.ProxyHost = "/proxy/?url=";
         function init(){
             map = new OpenLayers.Map('map', {maxResolution:'auto'});
             layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.Google( "Google Satellite" ,
{type: G_NORMAL_MAP, 'maxZoomLevel':18} );
             map.addLayers([layer]);
//            layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS( "OpenLayers WMS",
//               "http://labs.metacarta.com/wms/vmap0", {layers: 'basic'} );
//            map.addLayer(layer);
             map.setCenter(new OpenLayers.LonLat(0, 0), 2);
             georss_layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.GeoRSS("Slashgeo",
"http://slashgeo.org/index.rss");
             map.addLayer([georss_layer]);
             map.addControl(new OpenLayers.Control.LayerSwitcher());
         }
         function addUrl() {
             var value = $('url').value;
             var parts = value.split("/");
                 var newl = new OpenLayers.Layer.GeoRSS(
parts[parts.length-1], value);
                 map.addLayer(newl);
             $("url").value = "";
         }
         // -->
     </script>
   </head>
     <h1>GeoRSS in OpenLayers</h1>
parser, which supports GeoRSS Simple and W3C GeoRSS. Only points are
currently supported. <a
href="http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/HowToDownload">Get the code!</a></p>
     <form onsubmit="return false;">
    GeoRSS URL: <input type="text" id="url" size="50" /><input
type="submit" onclick="addUrl(); return false;" value="Load Feed"
onsubmit="addUrl(); return false;" />
     </form>
     http://slashgeo.org/index.rss