[OpenLayers-Users] Mapping website visitors with OpenLayers?

Alexandre Leroux alexandre.leroux at ec.gc.ca
Wed Feb 7 15:49:24 EST 2007

Hi list,

I'd like your advice on my next OpenLayers mission :-) What would be the
best way to map a thousand points using OpenLayers? In case you wonder,
those points would simply be, say, the last 1000 visitors of a website.
So there's no need for popups or big markers. A simple static
unclickable dot might do.

Would using a thousand markers from a textfile with
OpenLayers.Layer.Text be advisable? Is there another mean with
OpenLayers that would be more appropriate that I haven't discovered?
Would there be a way to generate "density maps" (the density of visitors
in that case; colored pixels based on the number of dots below each
pixel) directly with OpenLayers?

I've looked at all the examples. I've been quite impressed by OpenLayers
so far (e.g. layer opacity, getfeatureinfo, overview maps).
Congratulations :-)

Thank you for your feedback!

Alex
--
Alexandre Leroux, M.Sc., Ing.
Environnement Canada / Environment Canada
alexandre.leroux at ec.gc.ca