[OpenLayers-Users] What is the easiest way to grab the URL string being sent to a WMS server?

Mike Quentel mikequentel at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 7 16:20:59 EST 2007

Many thanks to everyone that answered my question
about obtaining the URL string being sent to a WMS.
Here is a summary of these helpful answers:

1.  Yves Jacolin recommended using the Firefox
extension Firebug (http://www.getfirebug.com/).  I
downloaded this extension, and I must say that it does
a fantastic job of obtaining the URL strings, and many
other useful debug tasks.

2.  Tim Langlois recommended checking the Apache
access_log files.  This works great for natively
hosted WMS.  Very easy to check.

3.  Jon Blower suggested using the getURL function, as
in the following: alert(my_wms.getURL(new
OpenLayers.Bounds(...)));
I've not tried this, but it looks like it might be
useful for adding debug statements.

4.  Christopher Schmidt mentioned that Grid layers
have a grid property that contains an array of an
array of tiles, with each tile having a URL object.
Also, he noted that one can simply right click on an
image tile to obtain the URL property information.
I've not tried the former idea, but I have used the
latter before.  Simple to do.

Many thanks to all of you for your help.

Mike Quentel