[OpenLayers-Users] Mapserver WFS layer

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Feb 8 10:11:49 EST 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 09:06:12AM -0600, Neil Best wrote:
> I am in the process of testing any WFS client I can get my hands on
> against my Mapserver WFS service.  I have some multipolygon layers that
> I am serving from shapefiles and I can render them correctly using
> either Mapserver or uDig as the client, although uDig chokes whenever
> the XML includes attributes.  When I follow the WFS examples for OL that
> I have been able to find nothing happens.  I am using the Metacarta WMS
> as a base layer but that's all that appears.  The server logs indicate
> that appropriate GetFeature requests are being made for the map tiles.
> When I cut and paste these requests directly into my browser I get what
> appears to be a well-formed XML response, so where does it go when the
> map object asks for it?  Is it possible that only WFS point features are
> supported at this time?

Yes. In the main OpenLayers trunk, WFS support is points-only. If you
wish to have a more full-fledged WFS client, you may want to investigate
the vector sandbox, available from svn.openlayers.org/sandbox/vector/ .
It is expected that the vector sandbox will be merged to trunk sometime
in the next 1-2 months, at which point OpenLayers will have full support for
WFS.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta