[OpenLayers-Users] Drawing polygons

Jeff Dege jdege at korterra.com
Wed Feb 14 11:00:20 EST 2007

We have a need to draw polygons on a map.  The idea is to allow the
users to interactively edit the boundaries of a number of field worker's
service areas.  Driver X is responsible for work in area A, driver Y for
area B, etc.  We need the users to be able to edit the boundaries of
these areas, represented as arbitrary polygons.

The points will be stored in our own database, we're not writing shape
files.

The question is, how do we do this in OpenLayers?  I've been seeing
references to the vector layer - is this the sort of problem it is
intended for?  Some time back, I saw references to a canvas layer.  Has
that fallen by the wayside?

Is there an OpenLayers functionality that can be used to support drawing
polygons on a map, and extracting the points?

Thanks.