[OpenLayers-Users] secure WMS and WFS

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Feb 14 23:04:13 EST 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 11:40:20PM +0100, Eric Lemoine wrote:
> On 2/14/07, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:
> >For Basic Authorization, the *webserver* needs to support
> >authentication, but not the WMS server. Simply set up basic auth for
> >/cgi-bin/mapserv:
> >
> >http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/howto/auth.html#basicconfig
>
> I understand that this works with mapserver, because mapserver runs as
> an Apache CGI script.
>
> But, as I understand it, this is a different story with geoserver:
> geoserver doesn't require Apache or any other web server, it is a
> standalone server. And current geoserver doesn't support
> authentication.

In addition to Chris's suggestion, you can also use mod_proxy to talk to
GeoServer. That's how the OpenLayers WFS-T example works: it talks to
'dev.openlayers.org/geoserver', which then talks to crschmidt.net:8080
behind the scenes. (It actually talks to crschmidt.net:80 first, beause
the web server doesn't have access to 8080 outbound, and
crschmidt.net:80 forwards to crschmidt.net:8080... oh what a tangled web
of packets we weave.)

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta