[OpenLayers-Users] Questions: Projections, Google, Yahoo, etc

olivier.terral olivier.terral at geomatys.fr
Tue Feb 20 04:20:55 EST 2007

Hi,

We use geoserver and mapbuidler (and OL in a  future for increase display time) for display NetCdf data

In geoserver the definition of EPSG:41001 is this:

PROJCS["WGS84 / Simple Mercator",
  GEOGCS["WGS 84",
    DATUM["WGS_1984",
      SPHEROID["WGS_1984", 6378137.0, 298.257223563]],
    PRIMEM["Greenwich", 0.0],
    UNIT["degree", 0.017453292519943295],
    AXIS["Lon", EAST],
    AXIS["Lat", NORTH]],
  PROJECTION["Mercator_1SP"],
  PARAMETER["central_meridian", 0.0],
  PARAMETER["scale_factor", 1.0],
  PARAMETER["false_easting", 0.0],
  PARAMETER["false_northing", 0.0],
  UNIT["m", 1.0],
  AXIS["x", EAST],
  AXIS["y", NORTH],
  AUTHORITY["EPSG","41001"]]

So it's a projection in meters .

We have display netCdf in mercator projection but problem for displaying
data with  google map because it's in decimal degree.
http://testbed.geomatys.fr/mapbuilder/demo/netCDF/

I think problem can be resolve in OL because in Mapbuilder there are
functions for calculates lat/lon in meters and inverse.
I don't know exactly how OL proceed but when OL request a wms (with a
google map base layer) Ol use epsg:4326, It must be possible to send a
request in 41001 when the projection is in meters ( property: map.units)
    and to use Mapbuilder functions for convert units ( may be creating
a projection class in OL) .

What do you think about ?