[OpenLayers-Users] Questions: Projections, Google, Yahoo, etc

Graham Davis gdavis at refractions.net
Tue Feb 20 11:21:20 EST 2007

Doing a little research, I can see that the metric system was designed
specifically for mapping:

"All UTM grid systems divide the globe into narrow longitude zones. Both
NATO or Warsaw Pact systems use zones six degrees wide. Along the
central meridian of each zone, the grid coincides with the meridian.
East and west of the central meridian the grid and meridians do not
coincide because meridians converge.

The Metric System was defined so that the distance from equator to pole
should be exactly 10 million meters or 10,000 kilometers. It isn't
exactly, because the model for the shape of the earth in those days
wasn't perfectly accurate, but it's quite close (actually about 10,002
kilometers). So all UTM grid systems, NATO or Warsaw Pact, begin
counting from zero at the equator.

The beauty of using longitude zones six degrees wide is that, at the
equator, a zone is about 40,000/60 or 667 kilometers wide. Thus it is
possible to create numbering systems so that distances on the grid in
kilometers have at most three digits."

Taken from here:
http://www.uwgb.edu/DutchS/FieldMethods/UTMSystem.htm

--