[OpenLayers-Users] General Questions

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Feb 20 18:39:29 EST 2007

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 05:39:26PM -0500, Robert J Becraft wrote:
> > > 2) I need to know "how" to include a tiled image of my personal maps
>
> > > to the code.  All the examples go to map servers that provide that
> > > option for the images.  None of the examples show how to include a
> set
> > > of tiled images that I've created.  I am hoping that I do not have
> > > create a map server to do this.
> >
> > How are your tiles generated now? If you can generate them
> > according to TMS
> > http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Tile_Map_Service_Specification
> >  you can use the TMS layer with OL 2.3.
> >

> Well, right now, it is one 2000x4000 px gif/jpeg.  Is there a tool that
> can break that down into tiles and compose the needed files to manage
> that?

Nope. None that I'm aware of, anyway.

> > 6) Is it possible to include a layer on the map that contains
> > hot-spots? Can hot-spots be added to a map layer?
> >
> > I have no idea what a 'hot-spot' is, so I don't know :)
>

> Image maps in a browser allow you define a clickable spot on the image
> map (aka "hot-spot").  If I can display a map in Open Layer that
> contains a "hot-spot", it would allow me to code programs/links/other
> functions based on the user clicking on it.

The current way to deal with this is by using markers. There is no
support for image-map like hotlinking in OpenLayers.

> > 7) I added labels to my map by creating a gif layer that has a
> > transparent background.  Is it possible to add text labels to
> > objects/locations on the map to do this in a scalable fashion?
> >
> >OpenLayers has support for markers and popups, so you could put
> >dots on the map to do this, but there isn't a way to do this with text.
>
> This would be a nice feature to have.

I agree. Patches graciously accepted.

> > 8) In order to get my image to load, I have to access the image
> > through an http reference and am running WAMP to serve up the image.
> > Is it possible to code the layer reference to get a graphic from the
> > root or sub-directory?
>
> >Unfortunately, I don't understand this question. A piece of sample
> >Javascript code may help me here.
>
> This works, but I have to activate my WAMP server to use Open Layers
> with this reference.

I'm sorry, I understand now. You're running into a bug in OpenLayers 2.2
-- it's fixed in 2.3.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta