[OpenLayers-Users] How do we use MaxScaleDenominator andMinScaleDenominator

Tim Schaub noreply at geocartic.com
Fri Jan 5 13:09:46 EST 2007

> note in some projections a pixel near the top of the screen
> will be completely different than near the bottom ie. we are
> always just approximating to provide users clues about
> relative sizes of things that are warped by being made 2d.

Yes, of course - sort of.  A pixel "will be completely different" in terms
of its representation on the surface of the earth.  Though resolution (map
units per pixel) is a constant since we're dealing with square pixels.  I
think you are referring to the ratio between a map distances and ground
distances (scale) - which can never be constant across any area on a flat
map.  Our planar pixel space, however, is projected space - on this plane
there is a constant relationship between pixel units and map units.

Tim