[OpenLayers-Users] Problem with markers performence

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sat Jan 6 08:30:23 EST 2007

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 01:22:24AM -0500, suneel kota wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>      I am using openlayers markers to display markers in my map.. Problem
> is that when i am loading 1000markers on the map its taking more time(2
> minutes).
> I am placing the markers with Latitude and Longitude which are coming from
> database..
>
>    What my requirement i need to place 1000 markers on the map, and when
> ever user clicks on the marker i need show the information of that
> particular marker. But we have placed all markers and given events to those
> markers as click. But we are facing performance issue..
>
> Can anybody tell me how to rectify this problem. Or any example like this..

Which browser are you using?

If you are using IE6, this is basically expected behavior with no known
solution. Because IE doesn't truly support alpha transparency in images,
adding 1000 of these images to a map takes a long time, and OpenLayers
has no ability to do anything about it.

If you are willing to keep your usage limited to other browsers, the
level of performance you are seeing seems different than what I would
expect. The GeoSearch client released by MetaCarta uses a large number
of markers successfully in Firefox/Safari/Opera (Although I'll admit
that Safari and Opera are definitely slower).

IE7 is slow, but not to the same extent as IE6 -- you might want to try
that if you think that you need to support IE.

If you're seeing poor performance in something other than IE6, could you
please provide a simple example of HTML or a URL which reproduces the
problem?

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta