[OpenLayers-Users] optimizations to deliver openlayers js faster?

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Tue Jan 9 18:38:36 EST 2007

Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 05:22:06PM -0500, Chris Holmes wrote:
>>
>> Christopher Schmidt wrote:
>>> Is this a concern you've seen from the OpenLyaers home page, or other
>>> pages? The OpenLayers homepage is using:
>>> * gzip encoding (post-filter in Apache2) of the javascript
>>> * Single file build
>> No, not at all.  Sorry, should have stated more clearly.  Was mostly
>> looking to figure out exactly what you guys were doing on OpenLayers
>> homepage.
>>
>>> If this isn't enough for you, it is possible to build a much smaller
>>> single file build via Build Profiles:
>>> http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/Profiles
>> Cool.

>>> python build/build.py in 2.3+ or build/build.sh in 2.2- are the ways to
>>> build a single file version -- alternatively, use the hosted API, which
>>> does this, and also has the nifty apache setup, for you.
>> Thanks!  It sounds like the easiest thing is to just use the hosted
>> file.  /me crosses fingers for 2.3.0 hosted version soon (I can function
>> without it though).
>
> There is an RC1, but there are outstanding bugs with RC1 that I haven't
> fully reviewed before we can do an RC2, and I like to wait several days
> before RC -> Final status. If you have specific things you'd like to see
> changed/improved for your demo, I can help you add Javascript to your
> application code to add functionality that you need from 2.3 in a 2.2
> application.  Let me know.

Ah, so just over-ride on the client side or some such?  I still want to
use the zipped up single build file.

The two I'm using right now are multiple hostnames and the multiple
reload tries when a single tile won't come up.  I'm not in a huge rush
though, I can just do static linking from the home page.

best regards,

Chris

--
Chris Holmes